Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From power2themacs
Subject Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
Date
Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE  (Jason Earl <jason.earl@simplot.com>)
List pgsql-general
>In table two you would not create a serial instead you would create an
>INTEGER because serial is a counter and the values in table 2 may not be
>in table 1.
>
>Use a transaction like as follows
>
>BEGIN;
>INSERT INTO TABLE1 VALUES (Whatever values);
>var = SELECT CURRVAL('sequence_name');
>INSERT INTO TABLE2 VALUES (var,whatever else);
>COMMIT;

But this is the race condition I am trying to avoid. Someone can
insert before I get the currval and it will beincremented and this
will result in invalid data. Right now, I'm doing exactly that but I
add SET ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE; after the transaction which
locks out other INSERTS. I think I'll try PG Explorer's idea. Thanks
PG Explorer!

--
AgentM
agentm@cmu.edu